Friday, May 6, 2011

Operation Code Name Geronimo How this affects me personally





Ok To start this post this is about the controversy surrounding Operation Code name Geronimo.As many people know I generally blog about things like well HIV and living with it Being HIV pos is only one small part of my life it is where my heart lies in education and prevention of course.But what many fail to remember is daily life and the stress of politics and who is going tot be the next state rep congressman senator adn even the death Of osama binladen can affect our health even the healthiest of us. Why well because the new england journal of medicine states that reducing stress in your life even by a third can greatly increase your life expetancy by years well doesnt that sound great.
well of course it does but things like the president naming the assault on bin laden operation Geronimo fuck as a native I was pissed now I say I was pissed because i didnt have all the facts and my young cousin she well dropped some straight knowledge down on my ass and set me straight real quick.And in a very serious and calm way.but all it took from her were a few words to show me the light and this is what I posted on FB and then the debate was on. Now before you ostart to read this yes on FB I have decided to Add my mother's Maiden Name to my legal name well as a matter of respect because her Maiden Name is very indian and it shows where my people come from.Our surnames can tell you allot about us and it wasnt until recently I knew this But yeah My ganfathers  family very big name on The Dawes rolls so here you go guys read on
My cousin Ashley Thornton just pointed out a very very good point about the Code name Geronimo It wasn't meant to be offensive to natives but to honor them as Geronimo was a great Apache leader he meant to represent the seals as Geronimo not Bin-Laden thanks Ash your an amazing young woman wise beyond your years
Ashley Thornton Thank you LArry! It helps with great teachers, and yes, exactly what i meant!
Lorraine Watson well here in america we dont think so, it was not meant as being a good leader or anything for that code name...we live this every day everyday discriminiation its way different then in canada and we live it everyday with the us government
Larry Bender Estrada 
Lorraine I live in the US nit Canada and I was offended my self until My cousin pointed out that this is what she felt I understand very very much what you are talking about with discrimination but Ashley points out that the representation of Goyakla better known as Geronimo was a great Apache Leader known as a warrior so the name was lent to our forces as if they were Geronimo Strong warriors fighting for American Not Attemting to associate Geronimo with terrorism But to Associate him with Strength and This is A very touchy subject for many of us and were it not for the wisdom of my amazng young Cousin I would still be very much thinking it held a negative connotation and yes we live in kansas the bible belt of the US so food for thought should we re-think our all jumping directly to the defensive we can be victems or we can be warriors and peace keepers A warrior is first and foremost a keeper of the peace she/he he/she only fights when there is no other alternative we take into council this young very wise womans words and remember who we are we are we are a nation of strong people and though we come from many tribes we are all one people we are all in it together we must all help to lift eachother up not tear eachother down in respect I will say this last thing It is not meant to offend but to open the eyes and help us to grow in who we are
Ashley Thornton well said larry, it seems to be a big misunderstanding but the code name for Osama was jackpot And the mission for And of the seals was Geronimo. by that they used his name (GeronimoS)because he struck fast without letting his enemies See him, he wouldn't leave footsteps no One seen him coming And the seals thinking like Geronimo used his tactics because the jackpot(Osama) obviously didn't See them coming.
Larry Bender Estrada isnt my cousin so wise too look at all the facts before reacting she will make for a great leader one day :)
Connie Ann Schwartz-Donley interesting Larry and Ashley, that makes sense of course.
Lorraine Watson I was called squaw my whole life an any names referencing to native is offensive and have committees filing lawsuits but its still offensive to sum of us who have lived the genocide!
Larry Bender Estrada 
as I said Lorraine this was not intended to offend in any way and or cause an argument or debate or raise your blood pressure it was not intended to hurt or cause Harm in anyway it was intended to open the hearts and minds of others that such a young person barely 22 could look at this and see that point was amazing to me and her Grandmother by the way was one of those children in a mission boarding school genocide and DEGRADATION TO OUR PEOPLE is a part of history just that History why is it innapropriate to try to make amends by honoring those in the past by useing thier names and theyre strength to draw on the strength of its people.Whether you like to admit it now or not whites and other races are American's as well they may not be the original people but they are its people historically was it not our way to accept those? Think about what is going on here by harboring hate you are spreading hate the only way to heal is to let go it is unfortunate what happend to us and our people but today is today. Let the ammends be made be not angry be strong to do this we must accept the facts the whole truth all of it as Ashley pointed out geronimowas the name for the seals cause they wer equick unseen like geronimo and jackpot was Osama's name the target and he never saw them coming using The tactics of the famous Warrior Geronimo Maybe we should ask his decendants what they think I know I am fb friends with at least one of his ddecendants and I will ask him to comment he is also an ex army Man as well and his brother is also army. so I will ask them to comment on what they think.If anyone should be offended it should be them.

Ashley Thornton thank you, i Really appreciate you larry
Larry Bender Estrada you know I got your Back sweety
Lorraine Watson 
well still there is an offense to those who live an everyday thing of this..it doesnt matter if it was for a good reason or good name or not they need to leave natives alone period...i've been in the political realm for 14 years now from all levels from being tribal leader to doing icwa , budges, and fighting to get services there is also a group who refuses to wear JCPenny Brand Crazy Horse due to the family objecting and the offense of using names..its a fact that name calling is not good if meant for good or bad..

Ashley Thornton 
lorraine i understand your opinions And i thank you for telling the other side of things, but that is where i stand on this matter, And How i See things. The way i look at it if someone doesn't like me for my heritage, And beliefs And they choose to try to offend me with derogatory terms, then they do Not know me. people tend to be fearful of what they Don't understand And know. but i also think the line does have to be drawn at some point.

Larry Bender Estrada Words well written Ashley Truth is simple
 So that was the final post so far my cousin is a bringer of the peace. I am honored to be related to her.I hope one day she decides to run for public office she would serve the community well I honestly believe this.You see the strength and the wisdom of the people I come from amazing just amazing this is who we are.
And yeah I am poz yeah I have made mistakes but look at what I have around me look at the blood that flows through my viens the infinate wisdom of where I come from.Will HIV/AIDS be my downfall? NO and a resounding NO at that because I was infected for one purpose and one purpose alone to prove to other natives that this is a human virus and it affects us all I was infected to break the silence and break the stigma associated with being HIV pos and in the Native comunity to educate our youth to help ensure the survival of our strong Race. to help everyone become who they are encourage our future leader's AKA My cousin Ashley . You know we are all affected by the events of 9-11 and the last 10 years that followed.And yes Osama Bin-Laden is dead will this end the war no is it the begining of the end yes. But terrorism lies in even the people being just plain angry about very childish things hat propagates hate only through love can we end Hate.It takes the voices of the strong young people like my cousin to Make this world a better place for us all those of us who struggle with HIV and those of us who struggle with hep c and even more and of course for those who dont struglle with anything.It is people like her that will eventually make this world a much better place.I thank you guys for your time and I appologize in advance if this is not what you were expecting for this post but well what many of us dont realize its little things that cause stress and well stress causes heart issues and for those of us on meds we most likley have heart health issues from that these meds are harsh very harsh.Today I ask for people to remember that we should not rejoyce the death of even one enemy but to mourn the loss of the masses remember we are human we make mistakes we are not perfect but we are good at our core we are good know that even though you may have been angry this was the sentiment behind it there are better things to be angry about than naming the Seal Team that went after B-L geronimoS .B angry about the adap budget cute be angry about the lack of funding for IHS services schools and other things that are there for helping natives.

Thank you for your tie I am grateful for all my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment